Summary of required skill set for career pathway and action plan

When thinking about my career in 5 years’ time I hope to be teaching drama to children in either a community theatre company or in a school. I have had previous work experience with working with children which confirmed that I would love to work with them, and with my passion for drama and theatre I would enjoy teaching it. I have researched into teaching drama and this is the common criteria I need to meet:

– Qualified teacher status (QTS) or oversea trained.

This can be obtained through taking a AO. Any experienced teacher with a degree can partake, this allows you present that you comply with the standards for QTS, without  any further training. You will need to demonstrate detailed evidence, and you will be assessed in a school. You must also take the necessary tests in literacy and numeracy before you are accepted.

– PGCE in Drama or degree level equivalent.

You apply for your PGSE through UCAS. You will work within a school of your choice and complete assessments to obtain your qualification.

– Relevant experience. For example a couple of years work in a school setting and for a certain key stage.

– Excellent subject knowledge and dedication for teaching and learning.

– Proven track record of raising attainment and keeping standards high.

– Committed to the school’s vision of pursuing excellence in education.

– Fully DRS checked.